Princes Street was built in the latter half of the 18th century during the reign of the Hanoverian King George III. Princes Street was named after King George’s sons and was soon to become Scotland’s greatest thoroughfare.
It is famous for its shops, public buildings and spectacular views of the town and castle. The oldest floral clock in the world is at Princes Street Gardens and was built in 1903.
It is 12 ft in diameter and is of the best loved attractions in the City. Quite a variety of flower and foliage plants are used in the design which are of a dwarf nature, suitable for carpet bedding.